Helmets are considered the most important safety wear for motorcycle riders. A motorcycle helmet protects riders from serious upper body, neck injuries, collisions, and brain damage. But if you are a new rider, it is a bit confusing for you to decide which helmets you should buy, the quality of helmets, and which have good protection at a given price.
Different helmets are used for different reasons. While Full face helmets are used for best protection, modular helmets are for convenience, and offroad helmets are for long rides. Whatever the helmet type is, according to the helmet law, riders are obliged to use only motorcycle helmets.
And those helmets which are granted standard safety approvals are highly recommended to wear. Using an unapproved or other vehicle helmet is a risky and punishable offense.
Now that only certified motorcycle helmets are allowed while riding motorbikes, what are the ways to select a helmet that’s appropriate for you? No worries, this article’s gonna guide you properly to choose your perfect helmet according to your riding style and give you a proper idea about different motorcycle helmets.
6 Types Of Motorcycle Helmets For Different Purposes:
Most modern-day helmets are designed for various types of rides and situations. There are helmets for normal rides, dirt biking, mountain, sports, adventure, harsh roads, and other use. Some of the most common varieties of helmets that are used for different purposes are:
- Hybrid/Modular Helmets
- Full Face Helmet
- Open Helmets
- Half Face Helmets
- Sports Helmets
- Off-road/ Snowmobile Helmets
Now, You have the names of various helmets, let’s talk about each of the helmets in detail, their different purpose, quality, accessories, durability, riding situations, and protection.
1. Hybrid or Modular Helmets:
A modern-day combination of full-face and open-face structures, hybrid or modular helmets serve both purposes according to your situation. Modular helmets generally come with EIRT technology, chin protectors, and air ventilation space. Some of the advantages of Modular helmets are:
- Gives riders a convenient way to use their mouth. The shield can be opened easily and bikers can breathe, drink water, or do other stuff.
- Full face and open face switching provide good mobility. On a dusty and muddy road, a full face is a good choice, on the other hand, a quiet city road can be accompanied by an open face.
2. Full Face Helmets:
Full face can be considered as the most classic example of a bike helmet. Most riders put safety issues ahead while choosing a helmet, so a full-face helmet remains their priority. Some of the advantages of Full face helmets are :
- Covers your entire head and chin structure. The back part of the head is protected through a strong shell and the front is covered with an attached shield.
- Full face helmet is considered the safest option because it protects both your head and neck from unwanted damage.
- Ideal for most offside situations as safety is a major concern in long rides.
3. Open Helmets:
An ideal option for people who live in towns and use bikes for everyday work is an open helmet. Open helmets cover your skull parts and have no shield or protectors in front. These are convenient for short rides and nearby movability. Open helmets are good for many reasons such as :
- Open helmets provide a good cover for your head, ears, and chin.
- Gives you a more breathable space and eye vision.
- Suitable for crowd-less streets and distances.
Although open helmets are good in some they don’t provide much safety. Also, many particles can damage your eyes or face while riding. Most states have a law of attaching protectors with an open helmet such as sunglasses and shields.
4. Half Faced Helmets:
Half-face helmets come with a chin adjustor and do not have any kind of front or rear projection. It’s like a hat that covers the upper head skull. Sometimes the front contains a shield for the eye part. These shorties are used for the following reasons.
- Being small, these helmets are comfortable for you to wear.
- Ideal for casual riding in fewer traffic areas
Unfortunately like open helmets, half-face helmets also arise the question of safety issues. So you need to purchase additional protectors with these kinds of helmets for safety.
5. Sports Helmets:
Sports helmets are the ultimate types for hardcore riders as they are made for rough and tough situations. Sports helmets are made of quality materials and come with more density, hard shells, and pass more safety standards such as SNELL M2015, DOT, etc. Most sports helmets come with pin-lock shields too, which allows you to detach the shield on your need. Here are some use of sports helmets :
- The perfect companion for riders who break their limit on the ride.
- Mostly used in sports, adventure tours, stunts, and many places that need top-notch security.
One common problem with sports bikes is that they are made of high-quality materials and technology, as a result, they are quite costly and have high repair turnover.
6. Off-Road/Snowmobile Helmets:
Off-road helmets are designed to fit with motorcycle ridings such as terrain, long country roads, dirt, etc., while snowmobile helmets are for protection in cold and foggy situations. Here are some interesting facts about both types of helmets:
- Off-road helmets are lightweight. So they are not as durable as street helmets. Also, they don’t have many powerful protectors to cover you as these helmets are made to make your long rides comfortable.
- Snowmobile helmets use modern technologies such as vapor condensers. So your front shield or helmet remains clean in cold weather. Also, the helmet keeps your head portion warm, which you will not likely try during a hot summer day.
Final Words :
Motorcycle helmets are an essential part of your riding safety. Buy good quality helmets that come with proper protective materials and standard approvals. Choose a helmet according to your riding patterns, don’t use cheap ones or alternatives as these will be a threat to the safety of your life.